Aren’t these baby footsteps cookies in shades of pastel pink and blue and white totally delightful! Any parents-to-be would be totally pleased when showered with these winsome cookies!
I made this for a colleague when he announced that they were expecting their first little bundle of joy.Coincidently I was expecting a baby too! And all this double excitement gave birth to these overly cute cookies!
So here is my secret recipe of making these buttery,very versatile, melt in mouth cut out shortbread cookies.These are the easiest to make with just 3 basic ingredients! Unbelievable!
The mantra for the best shortbread cookies is 4 parts flour, 2 parts fat/butter and 1 part sugar!
You can experiment by using part all purpose flour and part whole wheat flour. The fat also could be combination of butter and vegetable oil , or just vegetable oil, but then it loses the buttery heavenly taste. Nuts could be added for a nice crunch.
Woo the little ones by adding chocolate chips or M&M’s.Decorate with run sugar(like these baby shower cookies).Dip them in melted chocolate for added oomph!
Experiment as far as your imaginationation goes and imagination has no limits!
So what are you waiting for??
Basic Shortbread cookies
You will need
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp flavouring of your choice ( vanilla,strawberry,almond,butterscotch)
Keep them handy
Non-stick cookie sheet
Extra flour for rolling
- Cream the butter and sugar together, do not overmix or your cookies will spread.
- Add the flavouring. Next mix the flour and make a soft dough.Do not overmix.
- Spread the dough in the form of a disc and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least couple of hours.
- Remove the dough,let is stay for 5 -10 mins. On a floured surface roll the dough with some extra flour to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Refrigerate again for 15 mins.
- Remove the rolled dough,cut your favorite cookie shapes using cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place your cut cookies on cookie sheet and refrigerate for about 15 minutes to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and bake the cookies until the edges are slightly golden – the more you bake them,the more crispy they become, about 10 min.
Makes about 20 cookies
- You can add like 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the dough.
- You can add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts of your choice
- Melt semisweet chocolate, and partially dip the basic shortbread cookie in the chocolate and let is set.
- Decorate the shaped cookies with powdered sugar glaze
- Christmas special variation : Add 1 cup of chopped unsalted pistachios and 1 cup of chopped cranberries or cherries. You will have wonderful cookies with red and green bits!