Today I am playing your Barista to help you with your Caffeine fix!
Big enough for quick snack, sweet enough for mid-day indulgence and perfectly refreshing as your cup of coffee! After the Chai Latte cake I now present your cup of coffee morphed into the yummiest ever French vanilla muffins.
I was introduced to this muffin by a local bakery in Bogota, Brot, right next to our office where we hang out quite frequently.
I didn’t like it in the first bite, but like coffee eventually got addicted to it! The best part, I feel, are the dried cherries, they add a good excitement to every tidbit of the muffin. It enhances the taste and is a good add on flavor instead of the traditional nuts or chocolate chips. The muffin minus the dried cherries is almost bitter, and hence overflowing with the goodness of coffee!
By now you must have realized that I am totally in love with these muffins! And that explains why I adapted these beauties as my French Vanilla Muffins. Coffee is also one of the most liked Premium flavor presented by The Sweet Tooth
The brown sugar, imparts a different taste – same calories as white sugar but better with respect to nutritional value. They give a nice golden color too , to the muffins.
The muffins have a good amount of vanilla, and trust me vanilla and coffee is a divine combo (remembering sipping on French vanilla at Tim Horton’s!)
The muffins have almond milk for the calorie conscious and the also makes them vegan -friendly.These are completely cholesterol free and a serving is well under 200 Calories! Unbelievable!
Here goes the secret recipe of making this amazing mini treat…
French Vanilla Muffins
Adapted from http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/
You will need
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skimmed milk)
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. instant coffee
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dehydrated cherries
Keep them handy
12 silicone(or any) muffin molds, Paper liners
- Line the muffin molds with paper cups ,or if not using paper cups grease the molds lightly.
- Sprinkle some flour on the chopped cherries so that they separate. This step is important to ensure that the cherries distribute well in the muffin batter.
- In a bowl whisk the milk and vinegar. To this add coffee and let is dissolve completely. Next add oil and vanilla. Whisk this mixture well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a separate bowl ,sieve flour, baking powder and salt. To this add sugar and mix it well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Do not over mix. Fold in the cherries.
- Divide equally into the molds and bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Replace cherries with chocolate chips or chopped nuts of choice.
Do let me know your thoughts!